Lubniewice is a small town with a population of less than 3,000. It is situated in the heart of the Lubuskie Lakeland in the province of Lubuskie in western Poland. It's a location which is easily accessible from the city of Berlin with the motorway connecting Frankfurt Oder and Poznan located just 30 kilometres south of Lubniewice. The town, although one of the smallest in Poland, has a number of tourist-friendly facilities - restaurants, cafes, bars, shops, health spa, hotels, holiday homes and apartments. On the three lakes (Lubiaz, Krajnik, Lubniewsko) in and around the town there is canoeing, kayaking, sailing, and good fishing. Cycling and hiking are positively encouraged with more than 100 kilometres of marked trails. And the 'wolf trail', which is the longest horse-riding route in Europe starts in the town and ends 240 kilometres to the east in Steszewka near Poznan. Lubniewice also boasts a 1,400-acre nature reserve, a protected natural landscape area, and extensive forests and unspoilt countryside in which a plethora of rare birds can be seen and large numbers of delicious, wild mushrooms picked.
Historic sights include: the 15th Century Church of Our Lady of the Rosary with a neo-Gothic tower built in 1882; an 18th century neo-classical-style palace (castle); and a Neo-Renaissance castle built in 1909. Additionally there is a recently restored 19th century park now named Milosci (Love) Park complete with beautiful wooden carvings and the "Footbridge of Love" where couples hang padlocks symbolizing the permanence of their feelings. Regular cultural events are held throughout the year including open-air theatre and music events, fishing competitions, and the popular 'Lubniewice Days'.
Interesting historical facts: Lubniewice first appears in the historical record in 1322 under the name Königswalde. A station and railway line connecting Koenigswalde Nm (Lubniewice) with Landsberg an der Warthe (Gorzow) - Zielenzig (Sulecin) was operational up to the end of the Second World War. Until the redrawing of the borders of Germany and Poland in 1945, Lubniewice was named Koenigswalde and part of the German province of East Brandenburg / Neumark.
Nearby places of interest: the Ostwall fortified underground bunker system built in the 1930s; the River Obra canoe trail; the Warta bird and nature reserve; a dinosaur park; safari zoo; the Notecka and Rzepinska forests; the mainline steam locomotive depot in Wolsztyn; Europe's largest protected bat reserve; and the World's tallest statue of Jesus Christ!
Nearby towns and cities: Bledzew, Frankfurt Oder, Gorzów, Kostrzyn, Lagow, Miedzychod, Miedzyrzecz, Rzepin, Santok, Skwierzyna, Slonsk, Sulecin, Swiebodzin, Trzciel, and Zbaszyn.
GPS coordinates: 52 ° 30 '49 "N, 15 ° 14' 45" E
More images of Lubniewice through time
Koenigswalde 1899-1945 | Lubniewice 1945-1990 | Present-day Lubniewice
Search | Map | Contact
© lubniewice biz